Asparagus cream soup
Kastaniengarten restaurant Hof
The beauty in asparagus soups lies in their versatility. Refine that recipe with crispy serrano ham and watercress.
- 500 grams white asparagus
- 600 ml chicken broth
- 100 grams butter
- 4 - 5 tablespoons white port
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 150 grams root vegetables
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 thyme sprigs
- Fresh watercress
- 4 slices serrano ham
- White pepper
- Peel white asparagus and chop it with the roof vegetables into walnut-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and 50 grams of butter in a pot, add the vegetables and then briefly sweat in the fat. Deglaze with port and add the broth.
- Now add the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Boil gently for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetable is very soft and puree the soup in batches in the blender or with a hand blender. Pass the sauce through a fine mesh sieve.
- Bring to a simmer, turn down the heat and add cream and remaining butter under stirring. Do not boil further.
- Taste and season with fresh lemon juice, sugar, salt, freshly ground pepper and some nutmeg.
- Blend the soup again to a foamy consistency.
- Garnish with ham and fresh watercress.
- Serve immediately.